What our ‘sausage man’ Dennis doesn’t know about making sausages isn’t worth knowing. He’s been making sausages for 40 years and has let us in on his ‘7 golden rules to producing excellent sausages’.
1. Use fresh, lean pork from the belly or shoulder mixed with pork fat.
2. Ice not water is what you need to mix with sausage.
3. Create a base seasoning and never ready-made sausage mix because they don’t taste of anything.
4. Fresh, natural ingredients are the only choice to flavour the sausages for that spark of individuality.
5. Only the finest quality skins give that melt in the mouth quality to sausages.
6. Allow the sausages to rest for 24 hours for the flavours to develop and intensify.
7. Fry your sausages in a hot pan and turn occasionally but don’t let them burn.